Not all leads are created equal and not all leads are meant for your agency. Manage your time by making a few inquiries upfront.
Here are some sample new business qualifying questions your agency may want to consider asking up front:
- How did they hear about the agency?
- Referral, search, other?
- Each type of lead has a different level of trust in you and your services
- Why are you shopping today?
- Price, service, life change, boredom?
- Other than price what’s important to you?
- If price, how much would you be looking to save to move agents?
- What do you like about your current agent/carrier?
- What would you like to change?
- When is the last time your policy was reviewed by your agent?
- As we go through this process, would you like me to bring to your attention any coverage weakness that may expose you and your family?
- When will you be making your final insurance decision?
- What are you paying now and what did your insurance renewal come in at?
- How will you be making your final insurance decision?
- How quickly do you need your quote?
Professional Ways to Decline the Opportunity
If you determine this lead may not be a fit for your agency, here are some professional ways to decline the opportunity.
- Remember your time is your biggest asset - if you are quoting people that won’t buy you are hurting other areas you CAN spend your time!
- Here are some ways to decline:
- Based on what you have shared you may not be the best fit for our agency we wish you the best on your insurance search.
- When do you need the quote by? Because we shop X carriers it can take some time.
- Based on what you shared it may be best you call your current agent to see if they have any other options.
- Our agency standard to only quote X in coverage since you are looking for less than what we would recommend I don’t think we are the best fit for you.
Make Sure You Do Your Part
- You must make people feel comfortable and build rapport so they want to give you information.
- Your interviewing them and they are interviewing you - you must be impressive!
- People will start with price (just like in other industries) we must woo them to our agency!
- Most people start with the price intention but we need to take the time to educate them and help them make the best decision.
- The beginning of the call is a bit like a first date we need to make people feel comfortable so they open up and move them from price.
- Many people have never had a great agent - without a point of reference clients may need to be educated to improve their recommendations.